Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Card Holder

Found this dragon online.  I moved it to MS Word so I could scale it to the correct size. 
This is after I cut the pattern in with the swivel knife.

This is the pattern for the back side of the card holder.  It is the dragon's eye.

This is after the tooling.  I beveled the edges and used the backgrounder where I could.

This was all beveling.  I still want to work on smoothing out my lines when I "walk" the tool.

This is what it looks like when you smear the antique finish on.  I went on to cover the whole front of the leather.  Used Fiebing's Antique Finish Medium Brown.

I wrapped a ruler in a paper towel and wiped off the excess.  This allows the Antique to really sit down in the tooling.

Add caption


Following the directions in the kit, I tied the three layers together with the top knot.  Then, I started with a single needle and did a simple pinning stitch.  At the end, I started the running stitch back the other way.  A tip they mention is to make sure you come up on the same side of the stitch on every stitch.  I aimed for the outside edge as much as I could.

This is the finished project.  I hammered the stitching and burnished the edges. 
This is the other side.  The two little water spots went away when dry.

This is a test piece I did with the belly of some leather I bought.  The stamp was done with archival WATERPROOF brown ink.  The leather took it nicely.  I then did minimal tooling under the mouse just to see what it will look like.

On the other side I did testing to see what worked together.  In the left most section, I played a layer of Super Shene, then Antique Finish, then All in 1.  I might not have let it set totally but the All in One Stain and Finish lifted the Antique Finish right out of the pear shading.  Not Good.  I also labeled it with a fine tip sharpie marker and had no runs from any of the products
Below are some of the products I used for this project.  I get a small amount if you click on the link and purchase the product. However, I am not supported by any of the companies represented.

  

Wednesday, November 2, 2016

Dyeing and Finishing Leather Projects

Part two of the leather projects.  After carving, I went to the store and got colors and finishes.  The kit came with an all-in-one stain and finish but with would only produce a monotone.  I was looking for something more.

Celtic Bracelet - 4 coats of Eco-Flo Super Shene on the "ribbons" and 2 coats in the dots.  Fiebing's Antique Paste Medium Brown.  Fiebing's Leather Sheen, two coats and buffing between.






The light ribbon and 4 dots are where the Super Shene was painted on.  The dark areas are where the antique finish collected in the tooling marks.  The overall color of the leather is where the antique finish touched the untreated leather.  Overall, I am very happy with my first project.

"Mario" Key Fob - Eco-Flo Cova Color - I used white as a base coat for the star and the mushroom.  Three coast of yellow over the white in the star, then 3 coats of Super Shene.  Three coats of green over the white.  Two more coats of white in the white parts.  I used a drop of water to help them flow better.  Two coats of Super Shene over the tan part of the mushroom's face.  Three coats of Super Shene over the white and green.  I tried to avoid Super Shene down in the cuts, especially between the white and green, so that the next step highlights the cuts.



I also daubed the edges with the antique finish.  Later, I dampened the edges and used the burnishing tool to smooth the edges.  This is my new favorite tool!!




Below are some of the products I used for this project. I get a small amount if you click on the link and purchase the product. However, I am not supported by any of the companies represented.

    

Label Cloud

Mini's Past