Tuesday, November 8, 2016

Card Holder

Found this dragon online.  I moved it to MS Word so I could scale it to the correct size. 
This is after I cut the pattern in with the swivel knife.

This is the pattern for the back side of the card holder.  It is the dragon's eye.

This is after the tooling.  I beveled the edges and used the backgrounder where I could.

This was all beveling.  I still want to work on smoothing out my lines when I "walk" the tool.

This is what it looks like when you smear the antique finish on.  I went on to cover the whole front of the leather.  Used Fiebing's Antique Finish Medium Brown.

I wrapped a ruler in a paper towel and wiped off the excess.  This allows the Antique to really sit down in the tooling.

Add caption


Following the directions in the kit, I tied the three layers together with the top knot.  Then, I started with a single needle and did a simple pinning stitch.  At the end, I started the running stitch back the other way.  A tip they mention is to make sure you come up on the same side of the stitch on every stitch.  I aimed for the outside edge as much as I could.

This is the finished project.  I hammered the stitching and burnished the edges. 
This is the other side.  The two little water spots went away when dry.

This is a test piece I did with the belly of some leather I bought.  The stamp was done with archival WATERPROOF brown ink.  The leather took it nicely.  I then did minimal tooling under the mouse just to see what it will look like.

On the other side I did testing to see what worked together.  In the left most section, I played a layer of Super Shene, then Antique Finish, then All in 1.  I might not have let it set totally but the All in One Stain and Finish lifted the Antique Finish right out of the pear shading.  Not Good.  I also labeled it with a fine tip sharpie marker and had no runs from any of the products

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Label Cloud

Mini's Past