Instagram Feed

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

All Dressed Up and No Place to Go

Last night, I loaded all of my Cygnar mini's into foam and stuffed them into my carry bag.  I told myself not to chicken out and to go to the game store in my new town of Austin.  Tuesday nights, 7-12pm is Casual Warmachine and I wanted to play.

It's tough going somewhere new, not knowing anybody, and hoping they won't laugh at you too bad when you don't know the armor values of their mini's or what you have to roll to hit something.  I am a casual player but I want to play.

So I went to the game store for Causal Warmachine night... and no one was playing Warmachine.  =(  Eventually there were a couple of games of Warhammer Fantasy, and later a couple of 40k games broke out.  They were nice enough but where's the Warmachine?  I have army's for both Fantasy and 40k, they just are not what I am into right now.  That might change when the new fantasy book comes out in July but for now, give me my boys in blue!

I hung out and met people.  I watched games and chatted for about 3 hours.  This is what I learned:
  • Casual Warmachine Night just means open gaming.
  • If I have a different night off, I can go up and play then.
  • The calendar posted is not as accurate as I once thought.
  • Warmachine is not as prevalent here as it was in Kentucky
  • If I want a game, I will have to schedule one with someone on the local chat board.
I feel very brave for going all by myself.  I will try again next week when I have a day off.  I may also try the other store and see if my experience will be different.

Thanks for reading!

7 comments:

Adventures with Peps said...

I know how you feel. I moved to Ottawa last year and didn't know anyone. I went to the local shops and found a cool group of players who welcomed me in. And now in the local campaign being played I got voted as the Eldar Faction leader.

It's awkward to be the new kid, but they will welcome you in. Well done for going by yourself.

xenite said...

Finding new groups is tough, and it certainly doesn't help that some gamers, while being fantastic people, may not have the solid interpersonal skills needed to make a new player feel at home. Going out to find the scene is the way to go. Hopefully your Cygnar can get out there and shoot some things soon! That is there thing after all. ;)

jmezz382 said...

Bravo Shel !

Its hard to find a good group ... I am glad that you have found the courage to step up and get rolling dice to go along with your awesome minis !

Von said...

How easy is it to get to Louisville from where you are? I ask because my man Lexington who runs the HandCannon thing has just moved down there and I believe he's got a bunch of players in that neck of the woods.

Very well done, though, venturing out into scary new places full of nerds and all. Go you!

MIK said...

Kudos on getting out and slumming it at the LGS! Keep at it, something will pan out, just keep on keeping on.

Shelexie said...

Thanks guys! I was pretty bummed that night but your words game me the courage to check the local boards. Read my next post to find out more =)

Shelexie said...

Hey Von, Louisville is a long way from Austin =) I hear there is great gaming in Louisville though. I also know Albright's in Lexington puts on some great tournaments with good prize support. Hope your friend finds a fun game store!

Post a Comment

Label Cloud

Mini's Past