Tuesday, September 20, 2011
I also got to pick up 2 of the Stormsmith Storm Towers. I really like the poses of these models. I think they are great. The only down side is that having two of them side by side shows how very similar they are. I don't like repositioning arms and such but I might with these so they are a little varied.
This is the group based, following the steps I mentioned here. It is tough not to get so excited you get the steps out of order!
On the Storm Towers, I used the cork for the interesting scenery bits. Because of the cork and the space on the larger base, I glued the cork down first, then glued down the sand. It just seems to blend the cork in better.
I did something a little different this time when I went back over the sand with my mix of glue/black paint/water. I mixed it right in the glue bottle! It was a little messy, as you can see from the top of the glue bottle, but overall, I liked the experience. I did still have to spread it with a brush, as I perhaps didn't have enough room for water but it was fun.
Mik's Minis, looking at his basing. Three pics down is a picture of a plastic syringe he uses for the second layer of glue. Check it out here.
As you can see, the second coat doesn't have to cover like a base coat. I just use it to make sure the sand is locked down and to get black into the crevices. This will save me time when I am touching up after I spray the base coat.